Wednesday 4 August, 2010

Stop globalization now!!!!!

At first it seamed like a good thing, this globalization business. Even I was quite happy with the first developments. But the world we knew as kids has changed.

Even though I must say that I was never allergic to this concept.

Living on a small island that has always depended largely on trade our eyes were always outward. What we bought in grocery stores was mostly imported, what we saw on the TV were american and south american series and movies (The lather were mostly horrendous soap opera's that could drag on forever). Most of our friend were of mixed origin. Hell, we were all mixed-up ourselves! When I last checked I had West-Indian(probably Arawak) , African, Indian, Scottish, Welsch, Portuguese and Chinese blood. The largest portion (25%) being Indian which I suppose explains my recent addiction to Bollywood movies.

Growing up I had a few global pen pals. One in Holland, two in Italy, two in France, one in Belize (this one stopped writing after an earthquake hit the country, oops) and one in Darjeeling, India. I cannot begin to explain to my kids that back then we wrote letters to each other and waited for weeks - months sometimes - before receiving a reply. Nowadays they can chat online, send each other pictures and talk to and see each other through skype. For them it is business as usual.

I remember this cartoon "the Jetsons" that we used to watch. You must know it! All takes place in the future world. My brothers and I used to laugh at the phone they had in which they could see each other, while talking. We though it was the most hilarious thing, soooo impossible. Not.

So many thing is Jetsons have been realized. I guess the makers were visionaries! (Still waiting for the machine though that makes any food or drink you desire. Could use one of those. No, microwave is not good enough)

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that up till now my approach to globalization was quite neutral. Not much would change for me personally anyway. I always make sure to get my stuff where ever in the world they are available.

Until that day.

Ever since I left Curacao to live elsewhere I always went back to buy this special ingredient that I use in salads: Heinz vegetable salad. There is a large and a small tin, but I always bring 2 small tins. I treasured them and they would last for a year until I visited the island again. I could not get them in Holland nor in India, so I had to make sure to have a small stock everywhere I went.


I took them with me from Holland to India and refreshed my stock regularly during our Bombay years. When it was time to leave Bombay we were advised by the moving company not to bring any food in our container as this could delay the clearing process. I panicked! What to do with my tins of Heinz vegetable salad! I had already gotten rid of all other food items, but I could not leave my Heinz vegetable salad behind!

I just could not. Impossible!!

So they came. In my suitcase. It was the only way.

Then that day came.

Back in Holland I was visiting the very very local produce store runned by a Turkish guy called Mehmet. About 5 minutes form our house, set in a very very residential non-global area. Mehmet sells mostly fruits and vegetables of nice quality, but also Turkish breads and sweets that he claims his mom-in-law makes. Mehmet also carries a small array of canned stuff, for the convenience of his customers.

I could not believe my eyes that day when I saw Mehmet stacking a large stock of Heinz vegetable salad. He did not only have the small tins. He had the larger tins too!

OMG, it was a disaster!!!

Not only did I carry two (small) tins of Heinz vegetable salad around the world FOR NOTHING! But now I don't need to go home anymore to stock up.

Here is where I draw a line to globalization. If one cannot long for goods anymore, because they are only sold in far far away countries, what's the point? If you can buy anything you want anywhere you go, does it matter at all where you are?

I should be allowed to cherish my Heinz vegetable salad! Globalization has taken that away from me.

So I say to you, my friends: stop globalization now!

Before it is too late.

No comments: